Friday 2 September 2011

Day 64: 80-year-old bones

Today I was scanned by one of these:

DEXA scanner

With a stylish hospital gown on and my legs propped extremely elegantly I had my lower spine and right hip scanned to monitor my bone density. Four years ago this same machine diagnosed me with osteoporosis and I was told that I had 80-year-old bones. This wasn't exactly the greatest news I've ever received, but personally I think it’s a small price to pay for my mobility. Another part of my daily drug regime is Prednisolone, a steroid. It helps to reduce the swelling around my joints and generally makes me feel that little bit less ill. Mama Bull tells me that it was the Prednisolone that enabled me to be able to walk again back in the day when I was first diagnosed, so it’s a pretty great drug as far as drugs go. But it also has some pretty shit side effects, including thinning my bones and making them more prone to fractures. Aside from having to take a couple extra pills a day, losing me half an inch in height, and having to go through this scan once every two years though I’m pleased to say it hasn't so far had much effect on my life. For now I have to wait just over a month to find out from my rheumatologist whether or not my bones have got any worse. 

No comments: